Judy offered some comments from her visit to Quilters’ Affair – a week of workshops, classes and events prior to the Outdoor Quilt Show in Sisters OR. This annual Show is Free and is always the second Saturday in July. If you’re thinking of a future expedition, check here http://sistersoutdoorquiltshow.org
The Minutes for June 2018 were emailed to the membership, and were approved as published on our website.
Treasurer’s Report: Balance in our accounts: General Acct, $4009; Quilt Show Acct, $332; and Raffle Acct, $387. The report will be filed for audit. An Audit Committee of Joy S., Holly V., and (#3) will conduct the audit soon.
· Today – Sandra Clemons is here from Denver. She is a quilt designer, and has designed several fabric collections for Michael Miller Fabrics with her latest coming out in September. She has some fabric for purchase, as well as copies of her two books. www.MakeItBlossomDesigns.com
· August – Sewing day in house. We will have wedding dresses to deconstruct (to make the Angel Gowns) and kits will be available to make Love Quilts – Bring you machines!
· Sep – Kate Colleran. Kate is a pattern designer and is the author of Smash Your Precut Stash and designer of the Braid Template. www.SeamsLikeADream.com She will have items for purchase, and a workshop will be offered – Signup today ($20).
· Oct – Dawna Sanders is a pantograph designer. Program on How to Choose the Quilting Design for your quilt. www.DawnasDesignThreads.com
· Nov – Margaret Arnot, program on How Your Quilt is Judged at the Fair.
Committee Reports –
· Fat Quarters – theme this month was Pink, won by Agnes Jantz, Bobbie (Guest) and Lucy Nichols.. Fat Quarter for August is Children..
· Sunshine –We have 52 members today and 5 guests. The drawing for the yard of fabric, for wearing her name tag: Nancy Shaw.
· Pillowcases – Five today - from Barbara Bell.
· Co-op Block – This is the first month for the block for July/August: it is a 9.5” block of three white stars on a blue field with red & white stripes. Pattern was in the newsletter and is available for printing from the website.
· Love Quilts -- There are 3 kits available today. In the past we have given non-baby quilts to ACOVA, and some lap or twin quilts to Hospice. Currently we give baby quilts to the Nurse Family Partnership, which follows a family during pregnancy and thru the first 2 years of the child’s life. They are part of the Pueblo Community Health Center. We also give some twin size quilts to the YWCA. There will be plenty of kits available next month, to sew up a quilt during our In-House Sew Day.
· In-House – The serger is here! Tickets are $1 each or 6/$5. The drawing for this item will be in September. Three drawings today: a set of patterns (won by a guest, Joyce), a kaleidoscope quilt book & template (Mary Filer), and quilt books/mini cutting mat/yoyo maker (Dianna Hardrick).
· Angel Gowns – A Chairperson is needed for this Committee. Cass has volunteered her church sewing room for making the gowns. Five bags of wedding dresses will be available needing to be deconstructed next month during our Sew Day – bring you scissors and seam rippers!
New Business –
· The Guild voted last month to continue our tradition of hand quilting at the Fair again this year. Joy has donated a Double Wedding Ring top. Motion: That we quilt this top during the Fair. (Linda Pace/Agnes Jantz/Passed). Signup sheets are available today to take a shift during the Fair; passes for Entry and Parking will be available next month. Even if you can’t hand quilt, bring some handwork to do in our booth.
· Our Tree of Life quilt which was quilted by several of our members has been entered in the County Fair and will be entered in the State Fair – in the Group Quilting category.
· Round Robin Block Party. Linda Pace will lead this project for the next few months. Create a center block of 6 – 10”, a square or a rectangle, but not a preprinted panel. Bring it next month to exchange – turn in to Linda. You will take someone else’s block and add one border or some embellishment, and return it the following month, to Linda. Each month you will have a different block to continue adding borders, etc. You may applique or embroider as your contribution. Your block could be a holiday theme.
· Refreshments are again available prior to the start of the meeting today. Please visit the Kitchen prior to the start of the meeting at 9:30a. Hostesses for the Month need to be here with their food by 8:45a.
· The State Fair is in August. Quilt In-take on Thursday 8/2, Judging on Saturday 8/4, and Pickup on 9/15. Plan to attend the judging as it is very informative.
· Ideas for Programs in 2019 are needed – please contact any Board member!
· The Quilts In The AspensQuilt Show will be Saturday, Aug 11ththis year. This is a one day Show presented by Quilters Above the Clouds in Woodland Park. Additional information and the Entry Form for the Show is available here https://www.quiltersabovetheclouds.com/quilt-show-2016. The Show is 9:00a-4:00p at the Woodland Park Middle School, 600 E. Kelley’s Road. In addition to voting in several categories, there will be a couple special exhibits, area quilt shops will have items for sale, and the guild has a boutique for shopping! Admission is $5.
Agnes tried making a boot (wine tote) after Dianna showed hers last month